What work is Taking Place?
- The TTC Bus Barns located at the southwest corner of Yonge and Eglinton are being demolished to make way for the main entrance of the Crosstown LRT Eglinton Station. The demolition involves dismantling 10+ structures by sawing them into smaller pieces, and removing those pieces with a crane.
- One of the structures is immediately beside and overhanging the pedestrian tunnel that connects the subway station to the TTC bus loop currently in operation.
- During the demolition the tunnel will be closed to public access to ensure safety. During the station’s operating hours the pedestrian tunnel acts as an emergency exit for the station. Closure of the pedestrian tunnel requires the work to take place in the overnight period when the station is not open to the public.
- Work is expected to begin as early as January 3, 2017 and is expected to last two-three weeks.
- Overnight work will be required as closing the passageway during subway station operating hours is prohibited due to safety reasons.
- Pending permits and approvals, work will be from 2:00 AM – 6:00 AM.
- The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours, but may do so at its discretion.
- Work is subject to permits and all relevant approvals, and may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to Expect
- Nearby residents and businesses can expect to hear noise related to drilling, saw-cutting, and the use of heavy equipment.
- All access to businesses will be maintained.
For more information, please contact Nicole DiCarlo at the East Community Office.
Thank you for your patience as we work to build this important project.
Please don't forget to #SHOPLocal during the construction!